A Comprehensive Guide: How to Build the Best Home Gym
You already know how much your daily exercise routine is linked with good physical health. What you might have missed is the association between your physical activity and good mental health. Daily exercise has a significant impact on both physical and psychological health. Building a home gym is one of the best things you can do for yourself in this regard. You do not need to spare a specific time to get your daily dose of exercise when you have a home gym set up next door. No matter the hour of the day, a home gym is always there to start your workout. Privacy is another important yet most underrated benefit of having a home gym. You perform better when none is around you to deviate your attention. Exercising regularly keeps you physically fit,(1) improves your energy level and working capacity, fights depression and anxiety, boosts mood, maintains body weight, and helps prevent certain medical diseases such as diabetes.(2)
Building A Home Gym Is Much Easier and Affordable Than You Think:
Building a home gym is like one a lifetime favor you can give to yourself. It may seem difficult and even costly to develop a home gym setup from scratch. But the truth is, it is the most flexible expense. Here is a comprehensive guideline for starting up your home gym on a budget.
- Power rack:
A moderate quality power rack with average functional capacity is also a good piece of cost-effective workout equipment. Power rack promises excellent cardio exercise at your home gym (4).
- Fitness ball:
You can start with putting up a single fitness ball in your home gym. Fitness ball is available in different sizes. You need to find out your perfect size, and you are good to go. A right size fitness ball delivers you a great upper body and lower body workout (3). More precisely, fitness ball is an effective tool for flexibility/stretching and abs workout, that too in lowest possible budget.
The next budget equipment for a home gym can be few sets of fixed weight or adjustable dumbbells. If you want a good muscular workout at your home gym, then you must put dumbbells on your list. These can be used in the rotational shoulder press, triceps kickback, squat to overhead raise, etc.
- Weight bench:
Weight bench delivers the cardiac workout activity without putting your joints in trouble. It is a piece of budget home gym equipment for keeping your weight in range, building strength, improving cardiovascular health, and burning excess calories.
- Resistance bands:
Resistance bands are also available in a pocket-friendly range. Resistance bands save storage space too. You can modify your workouts with these bands for a better exercise experience. These bands assure you improved mass and function of muscles along with a safe side for joints, especially in the elderly.
- Boxing bag:
- Stationary bike:
A stationary bike with a fair range of features is another good option for the cardio workout. Also, this workout is best for lower body muscular and joint strength.
As you go up in the budget game, various home gym equipment can be added to the list according to the available space. You can update your home gym with an indoor rowing machine, suspension training set, power tower, weight bench, foam roller, barbell collars, kettlebell, and gliding discs. These home gym equipment pieces will provide the best range of workouts, that too at the ease of your home.
5 Things That You Must Consider Before Building a Home Gym:There are so many things that one looks for before organizing a home gym. Out of all, 5 of these should be considered important. These are
- Your fitness goals: Fitness goals are different for different individuals. If one wants to lose weight, others might want to gain some pounds. So, first of all, set your fitness goals by keeping an image of your dream body shape.
- A planned diet: Exercise without a proper and healthy diet goes all waste. Your diet must be planned according to your fitness goals to achieve the maximum beneficial effects of the workout.
- Type of exercise: You should make your body familiar with the exercise tools before you get your hands on them. This will help you conclude the type of exercise your body is most responsive or resistant to.
- Set an appropriate budget: Starting with your favorite tools gives you motivation in the long run. To the fact that your favorite home gym equipment may be costly, you must set sufficient budget money for this purpose.
- Space: To decide on a proper space is probably the most important of all considerations. The space must be airy, spacious enough for all the equipment, and with minimal distractions.
Home gym in a small budget can improve your healthHaving a regular exercise routine is like a gift you give to your own body every day. The number of beneficial effects of exercise cannot be listed in one place. Starting a home gym with a very small budget will give you so many benefits you cannot even count. You may:
- Improve body stamina
- Get better bone and muscular strength
- Have reduced risk of osteoporosis(5)
- Have appealing or desired body shape
- Experience fewer anxiety attacks
- Feel relieved from stress
- Have less risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disorders
- Get better mental health(6)
Isn't this amazing that you can get the best from a home gym too? Indeed, exercise must be a part of your daily routine. It keeps you healthy both ways, physically and mentally. However, if you are not getting enough time to go to a gym, building one at home is a brilliant option. Time-saving and privacy are the two biggest perks of having a home gym.
We at RitFit provide a wide range of modern and budget-friendly pieces of equipment for your home gym. You can also freely contact us for any query, and our staff is always available to help you in starting a home gym. Why waiting then? Just grab the wonderful opportunity and enjoy exercising at the ease of your home!
- Ruegsegger GN, Booth FW. Health Benefits of Exercise. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2018;8(7). doi:10.1101/CSHPERSPECT.A029694
- Warburton DER, Nicol CW, Bredin SSD. Health benefits of physical activity: the evidence. C Can Med Assoc J. 2006;174(6):801. doi:10.1503/CMAJ.051351
- Sukalinggam CL, Sukalinggam GL, Kasim F, Yusof A. Stability Ball Training on Lower Back Strength has Greater Effect in Untrained Female Compared to Male. J Hum Kinet. 2012;33(1):133. doi:10.2478/V10078-012-0052-2
- M M-L. Aerobic power rack training effectively enhances cardiovascular fitness and gait function for older persons with chronic stroke. J Physiother. 2012;58(4):271. doi:10.1016/S1836-9553(12)70131-5
- Benedetti MG, Furlini G, Zati A, Mauro GL. The Effectiveness of Physical Exercise on Bone Density in Osteoporotic Patients. Biomed Res Int. 2018;2018. doi:10.1155/2018/4840531
- Taylor CB, Sallis JF, Needle R. The relation of physical activity and exercise to mental health. Public Health Rep. 1985;100(2):195. Accessed September 20, 2021. /pmc/articles/PMC1424736/?report=abstract